Sunday, January 4, 2009

Opening Night


Friday night marked the first ever Outdoor Cinema of Chacala. It was quite a journey just to get here. After hearing and seeing the beginnings of the Cultural Center of Chacala, Allison, Owen and I saw the perfect opprotunity to share a passion of ours. The crazy thing is we have never owned a projector or showed an outdoor movie so we relied heavily on websites and any info people with experience would share with us. We learned that we needed a white screen so instead we convinced Luis to stucco and paint the east facing wall (thanks Luis and Chris it turned out perfect). We needed a projector which at the last minute we found on Craigslist and last but not least a sound system which Dutch and Tandy found in a box in their storage area. With only an hour to spare Dutch and I began setting up the theater in hopes that it would work and the trial went perfectly. We had decided to switch the movie to Jurasic Park, so Luis and Chris hopped in a borrowed truck (long story) and sound system from Coco Bongos and announced through town that the movie would start at 7pm and would be in spanish. By the time they returned to the theater we had discovered that Jurasic Park was not in spanish and we frantically sent them back on the town with PA system changing it to Star Wars.
It is now 6:50 and time to get started. I powered it all up and nada. The projector is on, the movie is showing on the laptop but not on the wall and it is pitch black. Allison and the kids arrived promtly at 7 along with 20-30 other movie goers anxiosly awaiting the show. I was at my wits end when Allison stepped in said a prayer and pushed a few buttons. I guess that 20k masters degree in educational technology finally paid off and at 7:10 in a galaxy far far away the movie rolled.
We learned a few things that night, one is show a shorter film, bring a head lamp, and ask the local kids what they want to see first. Until next Friday. We will see you at the movies.

Happy Birthday Grandpa Jim
The Millers

5 comments:

JosieYWAM said...

I have been waiting to hear how the movie went. Praise God for Allison and her quick response to pray. Technology is tricky. If all else fails, my kids say "blow on it" Anyway, glad to hear it all went well. Next time will be awesome and the buzz is now out there. Kids just love to experience new things. Have a great week. We are off to school tomorrow. Tanner is 18 today, it can't be possible. So, Happy birthday, to Grandpa and Tanner, too. Love to all, Mary

JosieYWAM said...

Mark

Would it help if I buy movies in spanish and send them to you? Let me know. Our Walmart has tons!

Mary

Allan Hardman said...

Hello Mark and Family! I found your blog. Great! I look forward to more stories, both here on the blog, at the movies, and in the street-- since we are neighbors now!

Welcome home.

Allan Hardman
www.joydancer.com

grandpa jim said...

The movie sounded great thanks for the call

Andal said...

Dear Chacala family . . .

With all my heart I would like to move to this lovely little Nayarít village. My dear friend Allan Hardman lives there now and I so enjoy hearing him describe his experiences and seeing all the beautiful pictures. I look forward to hearing more and more from you.
Andal Mira Tomás - California