Monday, January 5, 2009

The Wife's Perspective

We signed the paperwork for home ownership today in Compestella...woo hoo! Our friend Mayte drove us and was so kind to help us purchase a prepaid phone and some more housewares. She took us into the "gated area" Chacalia yesterday for a day at the pristine, empty beach and giant pool. I was especially intrigued by the lap pool and open palapa areas that would be perfect for my latin dance fitness class (still in the planning phases). Mark if off to PV so I am taking the chance to give my point of view (he's a little possessive of this blog). This picture is of a scorpion (alacran) Mark found. He squished it so it is a little concave. They've been seen around quite a bit, especially under piles of things like towels or wood. Paul sprays (where we're staying right now) so we're okay. Needless to say, Mark bought a bunch of Raid at Costco and sprayed the casa like a madman. (I know, totally gringo) and we had the inside and outside fumigated today. Elie Jo has a serious ant aversion, and we need her on board with this whole deal! I think I will buy the anti-venom shot for about 700 pesos? ($70ish) to have around just in case of an adverse scorpion reaction. (Mom, I know you love reading this).

At this point, Mark is doing a lot of arranging, planning, and working on the house. I am taking care of the kids which is a challenge in it's own right. For the most part, it is incredible. Owen has reunited with his best buddies and has had kids to over to our place and we have had gatherings at the beach. The girls are finding their own buddies, currently a little brother of one of Owen's friends who is five, but will be in Gracie's class at the kinder. Mayte's kids are 6 and 3 who speak some English, which is helpful!

I would like to see the kids use their Spanish more, right now they try to rely on me as their translator. I am trying to stay out of it so they can figure it out for themselves. The main drawback right now is that the kids are so sick of each other (and their parents). They had a week out of school for snow, a week of winter break, and now 6 weeks in Chacala in close quarters. I think starting school will be GREAT! (Wednesday). We need to get uniforms and I think Grace needs one made. I will definitely take pictures and post asap. (See... Mark wouldn't write about any of this). :)

Hopefully Mark comes home with a cute vessel sink (he and Mayte went today so it will be there for installation tomorrow). Tomorrow is three kings day. I hope I don't eat a piece of rosca with the baby Jesus in it, I have never made tamales and don't know if they sell a microwave version at Wal Mart. (Don't laugh, I make a mean pot of spaghetti!) For now, adios!

3 comments:

grandpa jim said...

The scorpian is a bit disconcerning for us who thought that they only live in the desert-is this one the same as the dry land variety? Please get rid of them before you extend an invitation for us to visit!!

giving dance said...

¡Ándale, Alicia! ¡Ud. es muy valiente!!! ¡Yo sé que Ud. puede regañar a las alacranes y ellos se van a huir! No tengan miedo.
Los quiere Peguita

¿Le tocó a Ud. El Niño en la rosca?

grandpa jim said...

thought that we would hear about the school day today hope that you blog this soon